Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A Whiter Shade of Pale

Last night I had a House MD mini marathon.  Mini only because my eyes closed even though my mind didn't want them to.  At the end of this episode they played Procol Harum's Whiter Shade of Pale and I just went to this other emotional place.  I wasn't ready to move on from that place after the show ended so I took my bleary eyes over to iTunes to find the song.  It took longer than I wanted it to but thank goodness for modern technology and its (almost) instant gratification.  I downloaded the song (along with a few others that were stuck in my head from Pirate Radio) and felt satisfied.

I played the Procul Harum song as I drifted off to sleep, trying to figure out why this song pulled at my heart and soul in a way that few melodies can.  While I haven't figured out the exact why, I've concluded that this song was played in a very touching scene in a movie that shaped me.  I cannot recall this movie but my conclusion feels right.  Even writing about it now I feel myself going to that emotional place where deep love is the norm, people are good, the world is as it should be, and we are all content.

I played the song again when I woke up and I think it did wonders for my mood, especially given that I was running late for work.  I think this is a mighty powerful ballad.

I had a farewell dinner for a friend today.  We've only known each other for a little over 3 months but our friendship seemed as if we knew each other for much longer.  I wish him all the best as he goes off to nursing school.  He'll be taking his sister with him, leaving me once again friendless in Okinawa.  I'm working on that though.  His sister and her husband will be back on the island around the same time as my husband and I will be returning from our holiday trip.  I'm looking forward to the many double dates and couple-time explorations of the island.

On the drive home I called my husband to check in (I like having someone know about when to expect me, especially when the weather is bad).  He was sleepy so he decided to nap until I got home.  I thought about how I wanted to wake him when I got home.

I opened up iTunes on my iPhone as I walked through the door (we are SO a Mac household) and chose the Procol Harum song from the library on my MacBook (which is remotely connected to speakers using the Airport Express - Go Mac and thank you Steve!).  My plan didn't work out as smoothly as I thought it would have.  My husband was a bit difficult to awaken.  I had imagined us having a slow dance as he came to...  Feeling the power of our love and the rightness of our friendship and companionship.  Oh well...  I still love him even if sleep wins out over romance.

The song is still speaking to me so I'm going to let it take me to bed.  All is well at work and the cat is still crazy.  Next time I'll write a little about my husbands two buddies who feel like family (I love them like brothers and constantly feel like a little sister seeking their affection but holding back at the same time...).  I might get into some of my predatory thoughts as well.  I've been having more of those lately.  Too many hot women!

1 comment:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma4dsoviNSQ&feature=fvst

    ReplyDelete